Saturday, July 17, 2010

In the Garden, Take 2


I'm having so much fun in my flower beds right now. I feel so accomplished! Let's take a look at what's happening this week:

I'm loving this dahlia, it's very kaleidoscopic!

A few of the day lilies are still hanging in there! This yellow one has been terrific this year.

Picotee blue morning glory!!! I literally G-A-S-P'ed when I saw it. I didn't realize it was going to bloom this week, sneaky little fellow. I didn't really even expect much out of it this year - I grew it from seed and it was about 3 inches tall for two months! I kept waiting for it to die but look at it now!


Black and blue salvia - easy, steady, and an uncommon blue for the garden. Gotta love this guy.

Hey, who said only flowers are allowed? The only rule is you have to be healthy and have a color besides green. Here is a volunteer zucchini growing out of what used to be my compost!

My favorite, my pink hardy hibiscus. Every day I swear it's the peak day and the next day won't be as good. And then every day I wake up to this amazing sight of gigantic bubble gum pink blooms out of my back door, and it makes my heart happy.



When the sun shines through the petals I can't help but stop and stare.







I'm embarrassed that I can't remember what this is. It comes back every year and tolerates transplants and rabbits pretty well! Every garden needs a dependable bloomer like this one.

My tuberous begonia. A finicky, fussy little dude. I have fretted more over this little guy - he doesn't like too much water, he wilts if he doesn't get enough water, he won't tell you exactly what his needs are. This is the only one I've ever had that I haven't killed. It's day by day though. I try not to get too attached. It's these perfect rosette flowers that draw me in, dang it.


I like this dragon wing begonia planted with a tri-color sweet potato vine. It's a good combo and they are both going strong!


And, in case you think I am only focused on my flowers right now, here is your gratuitous toddler shot:

And, lest you get the idea she is always this sweet, here is the next shot on the camera:
Yep, that's about right.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. The garden is looking good. Your hard work has definitely paid off.

    ReplyDelete