Monday, July 12, 2010

A Stroll Through the Garden


This is a fabulous time of year in the garden. By this time all the flowers are planted, the beds are mulched, and it's time to sit back and watch things come to life.

Tropical hibiscus

My little harlequin dahlia. I have these guys in yellow/white and all white. And there are a couple that haven't bloomed yet, so we'll see what other combos we get.

Verbena

Day lilies - they are just about finished for the year. You only get about a month out of the non-reblooming ones, but that month is totally worth it!


My trumpet lily - I've been really waiting for this guy! The rabbits ate his twin earlier in the season, so I had to stick a cage around it. I'm happy to have saved this one!


Portulaca

Milky Way morning glory - I have these growing up the columns in the front. So far I only have this one and a dark pink blooming. It's always exciting to see how many colors I am going to get! I started with all white and one pink one. Last year I had purple, blue, white, and dark and light pink!

Tall impatien


The front bed off the side of the porch. This bed is just about self-sustaining. The impatiens re-seed themselves every year, and the dahlias are protected enough by the two walls that they usually come back every year too.

The back patio after a nice rain. The hardy hibiscus bushes are peaking this week! The blooms are so huge on these guys - a very showy plant!

Cleome


Hardy hibiscus blooms up close


These two look like they are not speaking! Humph!



These two look like they are sharing a secret...

I love these big, floppy blooms and how delicate and transparent they are.



The last of my double bloom hollyhock...


Our house. All the beds are going strong! The morning glories are climbing right up!

The back bed - I finally got to the end of the fence! That is some hard hard work! All the rocks lining the bed were dug out during the planting phase. Whew! The cages do detract a bit, but I'd rather look at cages than see all my plants eaten to the ground! Here is the bed before the trumpet lily bloomed...

And after! Much better!

I don't think you can tell by the photo how spectacular this yellow dahlia is. You may be able to tell from the lantana sitting beside it, but this guy's bloom is practically as big as my head! Amazing!

I have decided that day lilies and dahlias are great to plant side-by-side in a garden. Just about the time the day lilies are winding down, the dahlias start to bloom.






Of course, one of the best things about gardening is being able to bring the outside in!

Happy planting!

1 comment: