Thursday, June 3, 2010

Miscellaneous May

Some snippets of other May activities:

My peony bush FINALLY bloomed! I've been trying to get this thing to grow for 4 whole years now. The first year it barely leafed out and then died back. The second year it was just starting to show some promise when something (rabbit? slugs?) ate it all the way back down to the ground! The third year it actually got buds on it! Then the buds all turned brown and fell off..... And now finally, FINALLY - the fourth year - it bloomed. So it only got one flower on it, but I consider that a win.

See, the neighbors probably think I am crazy because I am so obsessed with keeping rabbits out of my yard, but consider that I invested four years in one plant just to see one bloom - and got excited about it. I mean, it's a big, huge deal when a stupid bunny hops along and chews your hard work all the way back to the ground in one night!




I made a new flower bed along the back side of the fence. All those rocks I lined it with I actually dug out of the ground with my own two hands. That's the kind of soil we have around here - all rock and clay....which is why I compost (illegally, I might add - our HOA says we can't have composters. I hide mine.).

We have a tradition on Thursday nights after Logan's gymnastics - we go to Heaven Scent bakery and get dessert, plus Friday's breakfast!
mmmmmmm

A family finally came and built a nest in our birdhouse!! We were so excited to have babies this year - until yesterday when I lifted the lid to see the babies and found they had been attacked by a swarm of stupid red ants!!! All the babies except one were dead, and although I tried really hard to save the one remaining baby, he ended up dying in my hands. We were so sad. Dang ants! I cleaned out the nest and I'm buying some poison before the next family moves in.
BIRDS ONLY
NO ANTS ALLOWED

I will be more vigilant next time, Bird Family! My condolences.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I LOVE peonies! I have been thinking of planting some bushes and am a little frightened by your story. 4 years?? Though I guess I've been trying to get a hydrangea to bloom for 3 now...

    Your yard looks great!

    ReplyDelete