Monday, June 7, 2010

A Pirate's Life for Me - a Rare May Day Off!

The family I babysit for took a couple of rare days off in May, so I gathered up the kids one day and met our good pals Lisa and Maya to explore the new pirate exhibit at the St. Louis Science Center.


It seems that some dude out on the East Coast had heard tale of a pirate ship being wrecked just off the coast, which no one had ever found. After a bit of searching he found the remains AND all the pirate treasure that came with it! At least that's what I think happened. I couldn't quite get the story down because a little someone who happened to be strapped on my back wouldn't quit screaming in my ear during the presentation explaining where and how all the pirate ship loot was found. Here is the one and only picture I got of the pirate exhibit:
the bell of the ship - captured illegally, I might add. That part about no pictures being allowed in the exhibit? Turns out that was a little snippet I missed. I got a 10 minute lecture on that one. (Thanks a lot, Claire.)
.
After we toured the exhibit and spent our requisite seven bucks on utter crap also known as a plastic pirate sword thingy, we tooled around the Science Center for a bit. The dinosaurs are a recent hit - a couple of years ago Logan wouldn't go near them.


Logan doing some swashbuckling on a dinosaur track...

And who doesn't love the fake tornado?

Claire looks kinda ghostly in the tornado!

Afterward we went to Fitz's for some home-brewed root beer and lunch! Sadly, there was a 20 minute wait for a table. Happily, the kids weathered the wait much better than the pirate presentation!

Maya perusing the menu.....decisions, decisions!

The girls attacking their cream sodas!
Love you guys, even if you don't know how to act in public...
Mama

2 comments:

  1. That was a fun adventure, lecture on the no taking pictures and all :) Hopefully you get another day off again soon so we can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love it when I get a "day out" with Madeline... nice to have that little vacation in the middle of everyday life, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete