Tuesday, April 27, 2010

March of Dimes - March for Babies

Claire,
.
This weekend you and I participated in the March of Dimes Marching for Babies fundraiser held in Forest Park. We had to get up very early in order to make it to the starting gate on time! Right from the start, it was clear that we both have the same attitude about early morning exercise...

Once we got in the mix with all the people it helped distract you...
For about 2 minutes.




Then it was on.


The crowd was pretty big, despite the ominous sky and chance for rain.



I started looking around for things to occupy our wait time. Oh look - balloons!





We walked with some of our favorite people - the Mitchells!
Maya, Lisa and Lorne



Waiting.....




and waiting....



This year I made our own shirts. My design stands for your and Logan's birth weeks. I had Logan at 36 weeks, and you were born at 34 weeks. (I had to make a last minute substitution for your shirt after a somewhat tragic misinterpretation of the t-shirt transfer directions. Ooops.)




After awhile I spied this homeless looking Elmo and thought you might get a kick out of him.



I think this is the worst picture I have ever taken, and normally I would never allow such hideousness to exist, but there is something about the combination of this ridiculous looking Elmo, me and the bewildered look on your face that I find hilarious.


Here is the team that we walked with. We walked in honor of Madeline Spohr, a little girl who was born prematurely, had a long stay in NICU and finally made it home with her family, only to die unexpectedly at 16 months of age from complications with her lungs. We didn't know her personally, but got to know the family through reading her mother's blog. When I think about Maddie Spohr, I am reminded of how fortunate I am to have two healthy children, and I thank God that your pre-term births didn't have long-term consequences. We are so very blessed.


At last! It was time to line up at the starting gate!



And.........we're off!



Oooo! Flowers! (You know me.)
We walked all around Forest Park - 3.1 miles!

Maya even scored a balloon, which you were sooooooo jealous of!



Wetlands!
Sadly, most of my pictures of our walk didn't turn out. I couldn't exactly stop for photos, with literally thousands of people behind us, all walking along about a 5 foot wide path!


A little taste of the crowd. It was hard to get a good picture of everyone since the path was so windy and it was hard to see through all the people. But trust me, there were many of us!


Finish line!!!

Next year it will probably be Logan's turn to come and your turn to stay home with Dad. Especially since you almost climbed out of your backpack at one point, and you already know how to break free from your stroller. Sneaky girl.
.
I love you.
Mama


2 comments:

  1. It was such an awesome day wasn't it. I loved walking with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! So proud of you and every time I see purple, I think of Maddie.

    ReplyDelete