Sunday, March 7, 2010

We're Goin' to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

Wow, do we love the zoo. I think it's one of the best things about St. Louis - maybe THE best thing.
Yesterday we spent the day there with our great friends Lisa and Maya. Here is a cool jaguar that I don't think I've ever seen before. The old one was almost solid black.


Was it last year that we had new baby tigers? And now they're already this big? YIKES.




Logan was very into his map reading this time around.


I think these are the zoo's version of free range hens. They were just hanging around and walking wherever. Sometimes I wonder if the zoo faculty doesn't trust the public just a little too much.


Lunch! As always, it takes a lot of work to get the kids to actually sit still and eat all at the same time. We managed it - for maybe ten minutes.


Then it was off to the fence to take in the duck pond.


There was this pretty cool duck swimming around, though.

Of course we had to take in the carousel. We are zoo members, so it's "free." Good thing too, or it would have cost us $3 per ride! Logan hopped on a lion.


Here are Maya and Lisa.


I think Maya looks soooooo much like Lisa in this picture!


Claire did so much better this time than she did back in the fall. She didn't even hang on to me for dear life. Look at my big old girl ride that spectacled bear!

I think Claire was really fascinated by being eye-level with this friendly Humbolt penguin.

squeeeeeeee


Yup, I see him. And you, cutie.

Normally we freeze inside the penguin house. But since it was cool outside and we were dressed for it, it was actually pretty comfortable. This is the longest I think I've ever stayed inside it.




Next stop: Children's Zoo! Here are the river otters.

This otter specimen is quite handsome...


Here is another free range bird. Odd. It appears to be turkeyish in nature.
I think this goat is giving Logan the eye.

I thought it was great, having a place that was all enclosed so I could let Claire run around. That is, until Claire almost went home with a different family when she darted out the door with some random people. The goat lady just stood there and watched her walk out as I was screaming "the girl in pink!! She's mine!!!" Thanks to some random stranger, I eventually got her back. Looking at this picture, it's pretty obvious she's plotting her escape.

Oh, hi....I'm just sitting here innocently, watching these doves.....which happen to be two feet from the exit......I don't think she's looking now..... RUN!


Maya in the sandbox at the Children's Zoo playground.
Logan on the rope bridge.

Logan and his new friend playing on the hippo.
It never takes long for Logan to make friends anymore. He's really come out of his shell. There was a time when a random glance from anyone other than immediate family would send him into hysterics.
Claire doing what she does best - running away from me!



One of the trains. Choo choo!!

Logan kept Maya entertained on the train.



Claire on the train. I don't know why, but I really love this picture.

Awwww, cheeks.

Claire and I riding along! Obviously Claire is thrilled to have to sit in one spot for so long.

Shhhh.....don't look now, but there is a wild Logan sitting on the rock.

Even the rhinos were out yesterday. Usually they hide pretty well and you only get a view of their rumps.

Nice pad, rhino dude.


I love, love the hippo exhibit. It is my favorite place in the park.

HOWDY!




This picture does not do the hyena justice. He is massive. It sort of gives my heart a little skip when I see him.

I'm not positive, but I think this is Raja, our male elephant. At least Logan said it was a boy. I tried not to pay attention.



What a great day after such a loooooong winter!

1 comment:

  1. It was an awesome day. The pictures turned out great. And you're right, Maya does look an awful lot like me in that one picture :)

    Can't wait for a our next adventure.

    ReplyDelete