Monday, August 30, 2010

Gardening in August

Gardening in August is usually a challenge. This year has been especially rough. We have had nearly 2 months straight of 95+ degree weather and very little rain, which means that there can be no slacking off on watering. I've been spending an average of an hour outside every day. This falls during morning nap time, which is typically my only time to do household chores. Therefore, my flowers are alive (some barely!) but the inside of my house looks like a tornado came through it.

*sigh*

Here's the front of the house this month:


And here's the backyard:


I've lost quite a few plants to the heat and the awful grass man (do you see how horrible the grass looks in spite of hiring a "professional?" Ridiculous!). However, I still have plenty of color and some real stand-outs. This is the time of the year for morning glories:

Milky Way White

Black Knolia

Picotee Blue

My first Heavenly Blue of the season!

The dahlias are really getting pretty, although I'm having to go to battle with spider mites on some of them.










Some of my celosia plants are really looking nice.


And the zinnias are really doing their thing! Next year I'm definitely going to plant more of these.



The trumpet vine that took 5 summers to bloom is making up for lost time as well.

My stand-out favorite, and the first time I've had success with, are my moon flower vines! These guys start blooming at sunset and are usually still open in the mornings, until they get hit with direct sunlight. They are HUGE and lovely, which I expected, but what I didn't expect was the fragrance! The scent these blooms give off is so unbelievable! These will be on my gardening list from now on. I have them next to the patio so that I can see them and smell them if I'm sitting outside in the evening.



Me, looking spectacular, demonstrating how huge these blossoms are!
I'm in love!
Mama

2 comments:

  1. Love the moon flowers!! I need to come spend the night again soon so I can see them in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspiring. My yard is a landfill by comparison. Maybe next summer I'll put forth more effort.

    ReplyDelete