Saturday, August 14, 2010

Logan's Vacation - Day 5: Washington, D.C.


Logan,

Of all the days I missed out on during your vacation with Daddy, I'm most bummed about your trip to D.C. and your first time at the beach. I have very fond memories of visiting Washington D.C. while I was growing up. Grammy's whole family is from Northern Virginia, just about an hour away from D.C. So whenever we were out there for a visit, we almost always hit the D.C. museums and spent a day at the ocean! I wish I could have been with you for your first time doing both!

Here is a view of the Capitol Building from the Mall.

The Washington Monument. When I was little I called it "The Pencil." I giggled to myself when I heard that you looked at it and called it "The Pencil" too!

Making your way around town - Aunt Terry, Gracie, Andrew, and you!

Getting eaten by a mean dino!

The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History - this is my favorite D.C. museum, so I hope you liked it too!

Here are those good looking kids again!

The foyer of the museum.

Yikes!

Nice triceratops you have there.


Dem bones, dem bones, dem......BIG bones!

Logan says: That's me and Andrew by the stegosaurus.



Dinosaurs were your "thing" for so long I feel like I could be an amateur paleontologist myself! I correctly identified this guy as a dimetrodon by looking at the skeleton, and a zoom-in of the plaque confirmed it! All those nights reading dinosaur bedtime stories to you paid off!

Phytosaurus skull.


A classic. Here you are studying your dinosaur seashells and Andrew is looking all "can we go yet"?





Look out for the t. rex!

Do I spy a diplodicus?


Logan says: That's the Wiki Tiki! I named him Gum-Gum.

Here's a very impressive shot of the Capitol Building! Nice job, Daddy!

I'm guessing this is a close-up of The Pencil?

How was your first ride on the subway? Looks like you're having fun!
Logan says: That's the fast train underground!


For all the times I've visited D.C., I'm kind of sorry I've never been to Arlington. The idea of a huge cemetery didn't impress me in the same way that dinosaur bones and the Hope Diamond did, but the pictures look pretty cool...


How peaceful...


Wow. That's a lot of people.


Changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Logan says: That's the Army that protects the Unknown Soldier.








And one last look with a faint view of the D.C. skyline in the background...

Then on to another baseball game! Logan, you have matured so much in the last couple of years. Just two summers ago you would have caught a glimpse of this guy in the costume and run the other way as fast as your little legs could go!

Now you're chatting up a giant Abe Lincoln? Unbelievable!

Very cute. My two favorite guys!
Love,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment